Saturday, October 25, 2014

Too friendly?

I had been in Japan for a while, and trust me, the people there are excessively friendly. They were taught to be friendly to every customers or foreigners they have chance to talk to. In their language, customers are mentioned not without the post-fix "sama", which means a person of higher class than the speaker. It is beyond polite, it is a gesture of showing total respect and admiration. Generally, it is a good thing because if we talk to them, we will feel good about ourselves, and we would buy more or give them more generous benefits. However, as said, Japanese people practice this method of communication excessively. They even use it with their friends, co-workers and sometime, their life partners. What do you feel when someone, who is supposed to share feeling with you, to be honest with you as a friend, or as a special somebody, is just keep smiling with you all day and do you a lot of favor without asking for something back? A friendship or romantic relationship needs both parties to share what they really think to the other. It is two ways, I share my needs, my feeling, you must do it too. Japanese people seem to not open their heart to even their friends, not just strangers. We never know what they really think about us. It could be they hate us so much inside but still try to comfort us that it is not so. That is why I have a trust-issue with Japanese people.

Apparently, now I am having some trust-issues with American people too. It is normal for Americans to smile and say hello to strangers. That is an act of politeness, and I have no objection to that. However, when you get to know each other more, and become friends, you are supposed to share your thoughts, your feeling, our mutual interests, not doing or saying in favor of the listener. I have some friends here, and I wish to know them more. At first, when we met, we both says nice things that do not really matter like hobbies, cooking, music, sport, weather, politic. That is fine, since you don't know each other yet and you need to impress them nicely so they can become your friends. However, if you keep doing it again and again, your conversations become really empty and awkward. People become friends because they have common interests. Nice things is nice, but they become less nice if they are not what you really think, or really care about. So I think we should share more about ourselves, and stop being afraid to open our heart. Everyone can easy recognize whenever we really care and are honest with them, as easy as we are just doing or talking emptily. Believe me, it hurts your friends more than you think when you choose not to share what you really think of them.
The question is, how to do that? Just stop doing them a favor just because you think that will make them feel better. If you really want to help, work with your friends to solve their problem together, and then share your problem so they can help you back. Also, if you really want to be their friend, stop suggesting them how to have fun themselves, but ask them to join you when you have fun. That way, you will show them more affection and make them feel like you really want to be their friend, not just because of politeness.

I am talking too much, but I really feel distance with some of my so-called American friends. In Vietnam, our culture is really different, and most of the time we do not have any problem with "friends" being distant and empty.

2 comments:

  1. I think being friends here is different from being friends in my country. In my country, we share both good and bad things happening in our lives, discuss possible solutions. However, here, many middle and upper-class people can afford a psychologist to help them work through the difficult times. At the same time, I have some international friends who have close relationships with U.S. people. As for me, I have a good U.S. colleague at work; I think I can consider her a good friend, too. She invited me skiing, to take a yoga class and does not mind sharing negative feelings and honest thoughts about me. I was pleasantly surprised to meet such a person here.

    As for language, use an adjective ("distant") instead of a noun ("distance") in your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the correction. I think your colleague is a good friend too. Hope I will find some friends I need soon.

    ReplyDelete