Thursday, August 28, 2014

Measurement Units and Language Confusion

Hi, I am back after a week of many things that need to be done.

To continue my last chapter (yes, I call these blog posts chapter), I am going to write something about measurement unit differences between where I used to live and here, the mighty USA.
Like the rest of this civilization, my country uses the metric system as a mean of measuring length, area and many things like that. I was born in it, molded by it. I can easily think and calculate everything in metric units. For example, my house is x square meters and it is big. For me, x square meters associate with BIG.

However, United State denied all of these metric standard, and plays in its own rules, like a stubborn child who does not want to listen to anyone. It uses the Imperial System.
This made my life here harder, of course. Now, when people say that their house is Y square feet, I can not associate that information with big or small in my brain. Usually, in a case like that, I will have to open my calculator, and convert everything into meter... Despite of all the struggle with this new system, I always try to comfort myself that, one day, I will master the conversion process and throw away my calculator.

That day has not came yet. Meanwhile, I discovered something else...

My hearing is SUPER bad!!! (Three exclamation marks for extra dramatic effect). When I hear people speak Vietnamese, even if they speak in small volume, my brain still can extract keywords and tone from the conversation to build the full sentence for me. However, if people speak English in a similar volume, I can not hear anything at all. I am not used to the language, and still learning it. Therefore, my brain have no idea about the tones, the patterns of a conversation in English. If I want to fully understand the speakers, I will have to ask him/her to speak louder and/or speak again. This leads to some problems, including but not limited to wasting time, missing the key points of the speaker, misunderstanding jokes, and even making barriers between me and native speakers. I remember this situation in Lowe's, when I tried to talk to the sale person about a washing machine, I had to ask him to speak again for more than a dozen of time during our conversation. In the end, he showed me a piece of paper with written information about that washing machine and asked me slowly: ""sir, this is the information about that machine you are looking for, can you read English?".

I was like (-_-")

2 comments:

  1. Let me comment on the last part, I am not sure I can help with the measurements' part... :) As a non-native speaker myself, I still have trouble sometimes understanding native speakers and sometimes they need to clarify what I say as well. So, listening and speaking skills in a foreign language definitely take a lot of time and effort to develop! I wonder if you considered doing some kind of sports, hobbies, or some club activities with a group of English speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am considering doing more social activities like sport and I even registered for GAP program at USU. I think my language skill will become better over time

    ReplyDelete