Thursday, September 4, 2014

I miss you, Yahoo!360

There was a time when I was young, full of hope and dreams. I wanted to be a writer and actually wrote a lot on Yahoo!360 blog.

When I was a child, my dad bought me a lot of romantic novels from famous writers all over the world, including To Hoai,  Migue De Cervantes, Hans Christian Andersen and some people I could not remember their names. There writing style excited me. Their words lead me to beautiful fantasies, made me fly in the vast sky like a little bird, swim in a rapid flow as a tiny bug, explore the mysterious ocean and dip myself in a heavy tropical rain. They describe the world in their own way, often detail enough to fit the readers inside their worlds but still vague enough to make us wonder. In their stories, we find our own version of their messages. Maybe, just maybe, some of they did not try to give any message at all, but their talent make us feel so tiny and imperfect that we must make up a message to satisfy our desire for knowledge.

All of those things affected my writing style and my mind. Every place I went to, every time I met people, every moment I sat on my favorite chair, I thought of something that make my hands feel uneasy because of an unbeatable urge of writing it into a story. My Yahoo!360 blog was filled with romantic entries just like that.  My entries were often long, passionate and emotional. Love, family, fiction were my main topics back then. One possible reason could be puberty hormone of a 17 years old teenager. Nevertheless, It was a beautiful and memorable past. I wish I could save all of my writing before Yahoo decided to close Yahoo!360 blog.

The day Yahoo!360 blog was removed from the Internet is also the day I stopped writing. I moved on to other temptations of life and the memory of my blog, my passion for writing faded away, bit by bit. I thought that part of my life would be far gone and I will never write again.

Then those feelings came back to me all of a sudden. I talked again with my long lost crush. I had a crush on her when I still had the desire to write. Some of my entries back then were actually about her. The harsh unforgiving life as an undergrad student made me almost forgot about her existence. My ambitions were too big, too greedy that I could not open my eyes to see my soul had dried up completely. I had a gift of being able to feel my own needs but I lost it, until she came and revived my soul. Her immaturity reminds me of myself when I was 17 and any romantic picture could make me think of her. In her words, in her eyes, I found my unbeatable urge to write again. This time, I will not stop for any reason.

Thank to her and her recently uploaded picture which pretty much remind me of the blogger world. (Although the reason why she uploaded that picture was her bad day, I still appreciate this inspirational move)

On a rainy day.



4 comments:

  1. This is so sad and beautiful (I mean the picture). Why these two need to so often come together?..
    I also wondered if you wrote your stories in English or in your native language? Did you ever think of resuming this pastime? I wish I could write short humorous stories like Russian writers Checkov and Dovlatov, but that's just a crazy impossible dream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. For me, I have never seen anything beautiful and joyful at the same time. Maybe, when our vision is overwhelmed with joy, we can not see the art aspect of things.

      Also, I used to write my stories in Vietnamese because the literature I read were in Vietnamese. To write about something, first, I need the materials to construct my words. These materials could be ways of expression, or ways to describe things in detail. They could even be the whole vision of the story (how it starts, how it ends, what happened). I borrowed a lot of them from the writers I know to build my own fantasy. To write stories in English, I need to read English literature, a lot of them. And I will. This entry is the official declaration of my intent to resume this pastime. =))

      I think any dream is crazy impossible, but you should try. In the end, we do not lose anything for chasing our dreams at all, instead, we actually gain a lot of precious experiences. Do you know Vova series of short humorous stories? I think it belongs to the Russian and I love it.

      Delete
  2. No, never heard of Vova. Could you share the link? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is not exactly a serie of stories from any writer. It is more like a recurring name to use in those stories.
      I am referring to the Black Humour from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_humour

      Btw, Do you lik the music? This page automatically plays music everytime people visit it.

      Delete