Thursday, September 4, 2014

WOA!!! THERE IS A PLACE TO WRITE THE TITLE AND I DIDN'T KNOW THAT.

Today, I found out something interesting about English. It was the nature of communication.

Confusing opening, hah?

Well, it is a (not) long story. I was lying on my bed, and it was about 10:00 A.M. Do not judge me, it is human nature to lay in bed when there is nothing else to do, or when he just feel so lazy he could not get out of his bed. But it is not your business anyway. I got a phone call from a guy in the suit store. He told me that I had registered for more information about making suits and that was the reason why he called me. Thank him for that, or else I would sleep a little more, which is about several hours more and forget all about my homework and duties.
The thing is, I talked to him over the phone and I feel so native! My voice was blended with a sleepy attitude, but surprisingly sound clear and American like. For the first time in the United State, I did not try too hard to keep my voice all together and think about grammar correctness. All of my thoughts were interpreted into verbal word perfectly and fluently and it sounds so much like a native speaker. When I think about it again, I could not find any mistake. All the sentences and words came out of my beautiful mouth naturally as if I was born and raised in a Texas farm for 25 years.

It was a magnificent feeling when the guy asked me if I was living here for a long time because he thought I am a real American.

I guess that is the effect of being too sleepy to worry about what I was going to talk. Usually, thinking about what to say and how to say it in English before saying something takes too much of my time and leaves my speech soulless. It makes me feel nerve and steals my fluency.

Therefore, that was an astonishing experience for me and I am thinking of sleeping more to master my English speaking skill. Good night.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting entry, I don't think it ever happened to me! I think I'm always more concerned about my English when talking to native speakers and feel more at ease and confident with non-natives.

    I also noticed one thing about verb use. Lie (lying) is used for people or animals. These lie down by themselves. Lay (laying) is used for things or people that need assistance. "Lay" is similar to "set" or "put." So, the correct form would be "lying in bed".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you a lot. Now I know the proper way to use both words.

      Delete