Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Oh my name.

If anyone asks me what is the most frustrated thing I feel about English, I will tell them right away without any hesitation: pronunciation. 

Some days ago, I went to a Subways restaurant and ordered a normal sized beaf loaf hamburger. I love beaf loaf hamberger. When a Subways employee asked me: "What name do you want to put on your order?", I answered: "Phong, please put Phong on my order.". 

At that very moment, I noticed a major shift in her face expression. Her eyebrows moved closer to each other while her mouth slightly opened like she is trying to say something very difficult. The direction of her eyes changed from me to the roof of the room, and then went around for about ninety degrees to the left, then moved back to my direction. If you watched the first three Harry Potter movies, you would saw Ron did that face many times. It is a clear indication of a wizard trying hard to imagine and derive the spelling from a strange sound of a new magic spell. (It was hard for me in the first 30 times using Avada Kedavra curse too, but then I mastered it). So I told her: "Phong, P-H-O-N-G".

She looked straight in to the windows of my soul, with all her prettiness, and asked me again: "Sorry, could you please say that again?".

To be honest, her magnificent beauty shocked my nerve system and shut it down for like, five seconds. Therefore, only after a major awkward pause, I told her: "Oops, I am sorry. It is P-H-O-N-G". 

"G is in James, right?", she asked me one more time to clarify.

"No, no, G is in Gorge." I said. 

"Jorge?" 

"no, Gorge, like in Google."

"Oh I see, like in Game."

"You got it right!"

After that, she smiled and told me to wait for several minutes. Well, for that gorgeous angelic smile of a goddess, I can wait for a millennium or more. 

One eternity later, her lovely voice broke the silence of a Sunday afternoon, like an angel sings: "Mr. Phong, your order is ready!"

My chest almost exploded. My feet could not feel the ground anymore. My brain was fried. I felt like there was a volcanic eruption happening in my fragile heart. "This time, I must tell her how much I love her, how much she means to me. Even this is the first time I meet her but Cupid has already shot a barrage of love arrows into my left chest. My heart looks like an Emmental cheese block now. Without her, my entire life would be meaningless and miserable.... Yes, I must propose to her right away before her love kills my little heart." I told myself, and walked toward her.

"Here is your burger, have a good time!"

"Oh, thank you, you too."

And then I took my burger back to my seat, while my inner self tried to glue all the broken pieces of my heart back together....

Then I noticed the name tag on my order, it was "Bhong".


 

4 comments:

  1. Would this link be of any help?

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/09/starbucks-name-wrong-reason_n_5791820.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is really my pronunciation. Most people think I say "B" when I say "P". Happened many times already :(

      Delete
  2. Oh okay. Some students also adopt an American name, to make it easier. That's another strategy, but I don't know if it'll work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, an American name is a good idea indeed. How about Merlin? I like that name because it means Bird.

      Delete