Friday, November 21, 2014

Three months in an English speaking environment

It has been a quarter of a year since I arrived to the mighty USA. I am pretty sure of that because the insurance company has deduced 54.78 dollars from my bank account for being well-protected for a Quarter. 

What have I learned from the last three months? English or confidence? Did I change anything about myself? My appearance or my inner value? It is hard to say because I tend to use overly sophisticated words to describe simple things. 

However, there is a fact that my English skills have been improved, a long with my confidence. By confidence, I mean the tendency to speak more in English without caring much about my terrible grammar reflex. Now, my reflex is becoming so fast no grammar can go over my head. Responding faster, with so-so accuracy is my new way of life. Of course, that is an improvement. I evolved from shy boy, who was so afraid to say something wrong, or pronounce something wrong that could lead to awkward situations, into a manly man who does not fear awkward situations anymore. Just speak out loud, what could go wrong?

This is the moment I finally realize what is my inner value, and bring it into light, make it shine like the sword of Frodo Baggins - the Sting. That value is the thickness of my face's skin. It is not only preventing my beard from coming out, it is also prevent the sharp spikes of awkward conversations from penetrating into the emotion inside. Thanks to it, I felt more obligated to speak, and to learn new words, new expressions, new concepts. Sometime, we are too afraid to open our heart and let something new inside, because we do not want to get hurt. However, if you are brave enough to do so, everything will get better day by day. Of course you still get hurt though, but the point is, you will get used to it. I made new friends, lost some potential ones, made some people upset, made other laugh. To think about it, speaking to people is not so scary at all. Some good people even told me what I said wrongly, or bothered to explain some new things to me. 

Those are the things I had learned from this environment, but I did not mention the things I may never have a chance to learn, did I? Well, I want to learn the British accent. That is certainly not feasible in this country though. Hope that one day, a true British person will teach me that. 

For now, or to be specific, for the next three months, before getting another insurance bill, I will work on the grammar accuracy of my speaking skill. Maybe one day I will be able to instantly compose new random songs in English when sitting in front of the piano making random tunes. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling more confident about your English ability! I am not sure if you know that there's a writing center at USU, they also hold a free conversational hour. Even though your English is already very proficient, I think you can benefit from extra practice, if you will find it useful, of course: http://writing.usu.edu/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to remind you of the last entry; I sent you an email earlier this month. Thank you! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I will surely have it next week for you. Also, I will take a look at the website of that writing center to see if I can make something out of it. Thank you.

      Delete